My name is Ms. Melissa Anzaldua and I am the School Counselor at Raquel Cavazos Elementary. I am so excited to start off the 2021 - 2022 school year with you!
As a School Counselor, I work with students, teachers, staff, family, and members of the community. My goal is to help create a welcoming, positive, connected, learning community where all students are valued, heard, understood, and safe. Let us work together to ensure our students soar to new heights.
Visit my Cavazos Counselor Connection
What is the role of a School Counselor?
The role of the School Counselor is to help all students at their local campus to fully develop academic, career, personal, social and emotional abilities. The counselor is an educator who delivers a comprehensive guidance program in the school as recommended by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Why contact a School Counselor?
To assist a student and family with:
- Transition to a new school or grade
- Family transitions (divorce, remarriage, siblings, death etc.)
- Crisis situations together with campus assigned LPC-S, Ms. Jeanette Ballesteros - Gonzalez.
- Personal needs or concerns of students (friendship, illness, stress, anxiety, worry etc.)
- Academic achievement concerns
All students receive services through regular scheduled classroom guidance lessons on a bi-weekly basis. Topics and content may include lessons on:
- Self-awareness and acceptance
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Character education
- Conflict resolution
- Emotional recognition and regulation
- Growth mindset
- Decision making/problem solving
- Career and academic planning
A School Counselor assists students with any immediate personal concerns, crisis or event that is causing stress in the academic environment through individual or small group counseling sessions. If additional support is needed referrals to Mission C.I.S.D. Licensed Professional Counselors are available.
Mental Health News and Events
Parent Resources for Bully Prevention
-Stop Bullying Now
Take a Stand-Lend a Hand STOP BULLYING NOW! U. S Department of Health and Human Services offers movies, games, and information about bullying and how to prevent it.
Information regarding cyberbullying. Addresses what it is, how it works, prevention, and taking action.https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/digital-awareness-for-parents
Character Traits of the Month
Coffee with the Counselor